Thursday, April 30, 2009

People Watching

In a Starbucks right now, more out of necessity than choice, but in a Starbucks nonetheless. It dawned on me that people watching may be one of the best activities ever. It can be done anywhere at anytime and can be entertaining for hours. Here I am, giving the impression that I'm hard at work on something important, but no. I am writing a blog about watching people interact with other people, coming and going, carrying on their daily lives. And it is fantastic. I overheard some loud woman on her cell phone talking about 'Smokies'. If you don't know, Smokies are cocktail hotdog wieners (weiners?). So here she is, dumping half and half and sugar into her latte, rambling on with some other shiksa about how much her kids "just love Smokies", and I'm thinking two things; 1)her kids are probably obese and 2) I am scared to get a woman pregnant and have her body go to shit. Sorry if anyone is offended by this, but it bothers the hell out of me. I know it's insensitive, but it needs to be said. Women, don't use pregnancy as an excuse to let yourself go. Stay in shape while you're gestating. If Hollywood can do it, so can the average lady. Guys, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, so all of this came about as a product of people watching in a Starbucks. I won't even start to describe the barista who is high on God knows what. Looks a little like Lou Diamond Phillips, somewhere between La Bamba and Young Guns. I wish someone was with me to witness this.

People watching. It's kinda like... - BS

3 comments:

  1. I know what ur talking about Segs. People watching is fantastic. I think I could spend a whole day doing absolutely nothing but observing our crazy human race. As for the smokies....I dont know what the hell those are, but I'm sure it aint nuthin but some pig lips and shit. Does Starbucks make you buy something, or can u just sit there??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a coffee for the hell of it. You gotta pay for the Wi-Fi so I guess, in a way, you do have to buy something. Wi-Fi access for 2 hours...$3.99. Grande coffee and cinnamon swirl cake...$4.11...People watching? Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Segs. I am guilty of throwing out the occasional, "Look at this guy..." comment. Referencing the dooshbag that just sat down at the table next to me or standing at the bus stop near a traffic light that I am stopped at. I was observing people in a diner recently and witnessed the waitress drop the entire tray of 6 people's food and fell on her ass. There's that urge that wants to come flying out with laughter and then the polite thing, which is don't even crack a smile and perhaps, ask her if she was "ok". Dude, I lost it and almost threw up I was laughing so hard. And Smokies? Never heard of them, but I do remember..."Hey! Smokie in the back, taking a shit..."

    ReplyDelete